Ludhiana, October 23, 2017: The North zone Inter Varsity Handball tournament kick started at Punjab Agricultural University today. Dr B.S. Dhillon, Vice Chancellor, PAU and the Chief Guest at the inaugural function of the tournament congratulated the teams for participation and exhorted the players to rise above winning and losing. In his inaugural address, he laid out the importance of sports for developing an all round pleasing personality. He urged the participating teams from Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Uttrakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi etc to use the event as an important platform to interact with each other and discover the rich heritage of the diverse Indian cultures. Dr Dhillon revealed that the university has produced 3 Olympians till date who have led the Indian Hockey Team as Captains in various International Hockey Tournaments. He thanked the organizers for taking the initiative of hosting the prestigious event.
Earlier, Dr R.S. Dhaliwal, Director Students Welfare, PAU, welcomed the guests and informed that a total of 36 teams are participating in the handball tournament, which is being held in the university after a period of 22 years. The first match, she revealed, was played between Guru Jambeshwar University, Hissar and Chandigarh University, Gharuan.
TODAY'S RESULTS OF NORTH ZONE INTER-VARSITY HANDBALL (MEN) TOURNAMENT 2017-18 HELD AT PAU FROM 22ND TO 26TH OCTOBER, 2017 ORGANIZED BY DIRECTORATE OF STUDENTS’ WELFARE, PUNJAB AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY, LUDHIANA
1. Punjab University Chandigarh beat Guru Jambheshwar University of Sciences & Technology with a score of 35-24.
2. Lucknow University beat Dr. Manohar Lohia University, Faizabad with a score of 25-22.
3. CRSU, Jind beat GADVASU, Ludhiana with a score of 29-15.
4. MDU, Rohtak beat CBL, Bhiwani with a score of 26-19.
5. GNDU, Amritsar beat DAV University, Jalandhar with a score of 22-05.
6. PAU, Ludhiana beat Jammu University, Jammu with a score of 26-10.
7. MRSPTU, Bathinda beat HNB Garwal, Srinagar (UK) with a score of 35-25.
8. HP University, Shimla beat CDLU, Sirsa with a score of 23-09.
9. Panjab University, Chandigarh beat Lucknow University with a score of 30-18.
10. GNDU, Amritsar beat CRSU, Jind with a score of 25-15.
11. PAU, Ludhiana beat MRSUPTU, Bathinda with a score of 35-12.
12. MDU, Rohtak beat HP University, Shimla with a score of 35-17.