Prof.Raj Kumar, VC, PU addresses media, brief about achievements of University
Author(s): City Air NewsProf.Raj Kumar, VC, PU, Chandigarh addressing the mediapersons at Chandigarh on Wednesday. Chandigarh, September 26, 2018: Prof.Raj Kumar, Vice Chancellor, Panjab University interacted with the media here today,...
Chandigarh, September 26, 2018: Prof.Raj Kumar, Vice Chancellor, Panjab University interacted with the media here today, and highlighted the achievements of the University.
Briefing about new initiatives involving research promotion cell, he said comprehensive exercise has been undertaken to identify interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research areas involving faculty from various disciplines, which are also National Priorities. The faculty has been encouraged to apply grants under various schemes of the GOI so as to establish as centres for excellence in areas of National Priorities such as Biofuels, Alternate/Clean energy, Artificial Intelligence, High Energy Physics, Green Technologies and Nuclear Medicine, etc. so as to further boost the research and innovation at PU.
Setting up of Technology Enabling Centre (TEC): Academia is the prime resource in generating new knowledge in terms of publications, IP, research translation and technology commercialization etc., which are critical for economic development of any country. However, mechanisms for translating R&D output into technological wealth in academia are not very effective. The objective of TEC therefore would be to create an Ecosystem for Technology Development at PU and to provide a platform to network researchers with other institutes, National laboratories and industry in North West of India. The proposal in this regard has been presented to the Department of Science & Technology, GOI and is under consideration for financial assistance of Rs 5.00 Crore.
Establishing India-Australia Research Center at PU: Deliberations are in process to formulate long term strategy to build research collaborations with the top reputed Australian Universities with an aim to cooperate in research areas of mutual interest. This Australia Research Centre @ PU would envisage collaborative researchin certain focused research areas of strength by having joint Ph.D.and faculty exchange programs.
Joint MBA Programs with Curtin Business School, Curtin University, Australia: Possibility of student exchange, faculty exchange, joint research projects, joint research centers, and Joint MBA program (with one year at University Business School (PU) & second year at Curtin Business School (CU) are being explored. In addition, Joint Research Centre for Small Business and Entrepreneurship Development and Agribusiness are also being explored.
Joint Research Programs with University of Fraser Valley, Canada: PU has a long-term partnership with University of Fraser Valley, Canada involving exchange student and faculty from social sciences. PU is now exploring the possibility to promote collaborations in the areas of Science, Technology and Management with UFV.
Incentive Grants to faculty: With an idea of recognize the research performance and to motivate active researchers the University initiated incentive grants for faculty from Science departments based on their research contributions. 13 faculty members were awarded a grant of Rs 50,000/- based on their research contributions (bibliometrics). The University plans to increase the amount of grant and also extend this to social sciences also. It is plans that this would be an annual feature at PU.
Regarding proposal for enhancement of capabilities of SAIF/CIL Centre, Panjab University, Chandigarh, he said as under:
• Advanced analytical instruments: X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM), Single molecule X-ray crystallography system for macromolecules ~ 16 Crore
• NABL accredited Food and soil testing facility (With the growing need of food safety, it is proposed to setup a state of art analytical lab to test food and soil for various contaminants) ~ 20 Crore
• Prototype manufacturing and device fabrication facility (The science and technology does not come out in the field until it is brought to usable form. It is proposed to setup a fabrication facility where electronics and mechanical devices can be fabricated and tested so that these are brought to the use of public) ~ 31 Crore
• Advanced training lab for Skill development (It is proposed to develop a fully equipped state-of-art training lab for students and researchers to develop their skill in analytical instruments. Short term certification courses will be designed to impart training) ~ 5 Crore
• Manpower technical and non-technical for 10 years ~ 10 Crore
• Building extension to house the instruments (The instruments/facilities cited above require around 30,000 sq feet space which will be at par with international standards) ~ 20 Crore
Further, he told about MoUs executed recently. These MOUs were as under:
• EDCIL Limited
• VITTI Research Foundation
• Sabudh foundation
• Dhahan Prize for Punjabi Literature, Canada
• Bharat Vani Project
• Defence Institute of High altitude Research
• E. Gangotri Digital Preservation Trust
• Standia Laboratories, USA
• Sandia Labs, USA (Bio-Risk)
• State Bank of India-Pension Migration of PU Retired Employees through SBI
MoU under Consideration:
• Curtin University
• Fraser Valley
• Australia – Panjab University Research Centre
• University of Tyumen, Russia
He also briefed about student welfare activity in the University. He said:
• Hostel No. 11 for Girls to be started at south Campus as soon as possible.
• Proposal on Boys hostel no. 9 and extension of Girl Hostel No. 5.
• Special training to mess and canteen workers by the hostel management department
• wi-fi facility in all hostel
• A.C. reading room in all hostels
• A.C. facility in all common room in hostel
• EWS, disabled and SC/ST students to be adjusted in all hostel
• Meditation and Yoga, health and good habit deliberation there upon
• Herbal varieties and tree plantation in all hostels
• Sanitary napkin distribution machine
• New washing machines and water cooler have been provided in all the hostel