Tarn Taran police nab wanted drug smuggler Rashpal Singh suspected of terror links; accomplice escapes
Suspect caught by ASI Rashpal Singh after hot chase despite being shot at and injured, says DGP
Chandigarh: The Tarn Taran Police on Monday nabbed wanted drug smuggler and gangster Rashpal Singh, suspected to also have terrorist links, after a gallant chase by ASI Malkit Singh who succeeded in overpowering the suspect even after being shot at and wounded in the leg.
ASI Malkit Singh is undergoing treatment in a private hospital at Bhikhiwind and is reported to be out of danger.
DGP Dinkar Gupta disclosed that an accomplice of Rashpal Singh managed to flee the spot, from where a country-made semi-automatic pistol, 02 magazines, 06 live rounds and a Bullet motorcycle bearing registration no. PB 10-GZ-6673 were recovered. A manhunt has been launched for the accomplice.
Rashpal has established links with terrorists also and was wanted in several cases, with 8 FIRs registered against him under various provisions of NDPS and Arms Act in Amaritsar, Tarn Taran and Mohali, said the DGP. Several weapons and commercial quantities of drugs had been seized from Rashapl in the past too, said the DGP.
According to Gupta, Local Rank ASI Malkit Singh, along with PHG Ranjit Singh, posted at PS Bhikhiwind, had on Monday gone to village Phoola to enquire about a motorcycle theft complaint. On their way back, they saw two suspicious persons riding a motorcycle and stopped them for verification. During questioning, one of the suspects, namely Rashpal Singh @ Daula r/o Bhuchar Kalan District Tarn Taran, tried to flee and was challenged by the ASI.
Rashpal Singh, however, fired four rounds towards ASI Malkit Singh and one bullet hit the latter in his right leg and seriously injured him. Despite being seriously wounded, ASI Malkit Singh overpowered the suspect with the help of PHG Ranjit Singh and snatched a country made semi-automatic pistol.
ASI Malkit Singh joined Punjab Police as Constable in the year 1994 and was granted Local Rank ASI on 27.02.2020 because of his impeccable service record.
An FIR No. 159 dated 24.08.2020 U/s 307, 332, 333, 353, 186, 34 IPC, 25,27 Arms Act, at PS Bhikhiwind District Tarn Taran has been registered in this case, said the DGP.
The details of previous cases registered against Rashapal are as under:
* • FIR No. 141 dated 17.10.2009 U/s 21/61/85 NDPS Act PS Chabbhal.
* • FIR No. 44 dated 03-04-2013, U/s 411, 414, 498-A,B,C,D IPC 15,18,21,22/61/85 NDPS Act, 25/54/59 Arms Act PS Sarhali.
* • FIR No. 152 dated 11-10-2013, U/s 302,307,452,148,149 IPC, 25/54/59 Arms Act PS Chabbhal.
* • FIR No. 16 dated 26-02-2015, U/s 21,22/61/85 NDPS Act PS Bhindi Saida, District Amritsar.
* • FIR No. 14 dated 23-07-2015, U/s 21,25,29/61/85 NDPS Act, 25/54/59 Arms Act PS SSOC Amritsar.
* • FIR No. 370 dated 30-09-2015, U/s 21, 29/61/85 NDPS Act, PS City Tarn Taran.
* • FIR No. 226 dated 18-05-2020 U/s 302, 506, 148, 149, 188, 269, 270 IPC 25, 27/54/59 Arms Act, 51 BDM Act.
* • FIR No. 09 dated 01.06.2020 U/s 153-A, 171, 465, 467, 468, 471, 120-B IPC 25/54/69 Arms Act, 10,13,18,19,20 The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 (Amendment 2012) PS SSOC SAS Nagar.