Punjab Bandh gets strong response in Ferozepur
Markets, private schools and several business establishments remained closed across Ferozepur district on Thursday in response to the Punjab bandh call given by the Qaumi Insaaf Morcha for the release of Sikh prisoners who have completed their sentences.
Ferozepur, August 21, 2026: Markets, private schools and several business establishments remained closed across Ferozepur district on Thursday in response to the Punjab bandh call given by the Qaumi Insaaf Morcha for the release of Sikh prisoners who have completed their sentences.
The bandh remained peaceful and no untoward incident was reported from anywhere in the district. Protesters blocked Octroi No. 7, a key exit point towards Zira and Ludhiana, disrupting traffic and raising slogans against the government. Public transport services also remained suspended, leaving several passengers stranded.
Government offices and institutions functioned normally, while private schools remained closed. In Zira and Guruharsahai too, markets remained shut and the bandh passed off peacefully.
Lakhbir Singh Mahalam of the Qaumi Insaaf Morcha said people across the district had extended full support to the bandh.
SSP Bhupinder Singh said adequate security arrangements had been made across the district and no untoward incident was reported.

Vikramditya Sharma 

