'No question of lifting prohibition’: Gujarat Minister after eight die in hooch tragedy

Gujarat’s liquor prohibition will not be lifted, Minister Jitu Vaghani said on Friday, as he visited patients undergoing treatment after the consumption of adulterated liquor in Bhavnagar district left eight people dead. 

'No question of lifting prohibition’: Gujarat Minister after eight die in hooch tragedy
Source: IANS

Bhavnagar, Aug 21 (IANS) Gujarat’s liquor prohibition will not be lifted, Minister Jitu Vaghani said on Friday, as he visited patients undergoing treatment after the consumption of adulterated liquor in Bhavnagar district left eight people dead. 

Vaghani said the state government had taken the incident seriously and would take strict action against those involved, while ruling out any move to withdraw prohibition.

“The state government’s position is clear: There is no question of lifting prohibition... not yesterday, not today and not tomorrow,” he said.

The minister visited Sir T Hospital in Bhavnagar and met patients undergoing treatment, besides reviewing the medical arrangements with hospital officials.

He directed the authorities to ensure that the affected persons received timely treatment and that there were no shortcomings in the healthcare services being provided.

According to Vaghani, 19 people are undergoing treatment while 16 others had been discharged after completing treatment.

He said the police had acted quickly after the incident came to light on August 18 and shifted affected people to hospitals.

“Eight people have died. First of all, on behalf of the state government, Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel, Deputy Chief Minister Harsh Sanghavi and the government, we express our grief,” Vaghani said, adding that the government and society stood with the bereaved families.

He said police had registered cases and arrested 13 of the 21 accused, with courts granting up to 10 days’ remand based on the police report.

Vaghani also said the alleged main accused, Gautam Solanki and Raees, had been arrested and two other cases had been registered against them.

"Around 29 people were traced by police, medically examined and provided necessary treatment. Some of the suspected substance was also recovered after police traced where it had been supplied," he said.

Vaghani said the state government had ordered an investigation by the State Monitoring Cell (SMC) on the same day the incident came to light and that a higher-level investigation had also been ordered.

“The state government does not want to hide anything. It is deeply concerned and saddened by what has happened,” he said.

Action has also been taken against police personnel for alleged negligence. Vaghani said two police Inspectors and around five police personnel, including a Sub-Inspector, had been suspended based on the initial findings.

"The government would pursue the investigation against anyone involved in the manufacture or distribution of the suspected adulterated liquor, including those assisting the accused or having links in other states. The government does not want to compromise on anything that comes to light at the end of the investigation,” Vaghani said.

During his hospital visit, Vaghani held discussions with Sir T Hospital superintendent Kairavi Desai and other medical officials.

--IANS

mys/rad